We’ve all been there. You’re cruising through your career, things are going great and then suddenly you hit a roadblock. You don’t know what to do next or how to get moving again. When this happens, it’s easy to lose sight of yourself and feel lost in your career.
It can be tough to know what steps to take next or where to find the motivation to keep going. But don’t worry, you’re not alone.
Here are 61 ways to love yourself and find your way again.These self-love tips are organized by ways to take care of your mind, feelings, body and physical environment. Experiment with each of these self-love tips and see which one allows you to receive the most caring you need on the days you feel stuck or overwhelmed.
Take care of your mind
- Give yourself some time for self-reflection on what is going on right now.
- Make a list of things you are proud of – your accomplishments, strengths, things that make you happy.
- Remember your achievements do not define all of you.Write down your goals, both short-term and long-term, for your career. Also, reflect on whether the path you are on right now can still help you achieve the goals.
- Set realistic goals. Adapt the unrealistic versions into goals that fit where you are at in life and the resources you have.
- Give yourself time to recover – don’t push yourself too hard after a career setback
- Take a day off from the everyday mill and give yourself permission to relax and enjoy your free time. You can take yourself on a date – go out to eat, see a movie or take a walk in the park – or simply take a nap at home, read a book, write in your journal, cook a healthy meal.
- Invest in yourself by taking a class or reading books on topics (could be related to your career or not) that interest you.
- Set some time aside for fun and relaxation every week.
- Find a creative outlet that makes you happy. Some examples are painting, writing, dancing and quilting.
- Meditate and take a mental timeout from anxieties. Practice slow breathing and noticing your thoughts. Or simply visualize a beautiful and calm location for 10 minutes.
- Accept you are not perfect.
- Acknowledge your reality.
- Seek out professional counseling or therapy if you’re feeling really lost.
Take care of your feelings
- Spend time with positive people who make you feel good about yourself.
- Talk to someone you trust about how you’re feeling and what you’re struggling with.
- Write down your thoughts and feelings in a journal
- Give yourself time to process what is going on.
- Be patient and compassionate to yourself.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for.
- Make time for yourself each day to do something that makes you happy
- Watch motivational videos on YouTube.
- Remove negative persons from your social media.
- Stop comparing yourself with your colleagues.
- Say no to one request that does not align with your needs.
- Forgive yourself of one thing you are ashamed of or thought you did wrong.
- Get in touch with your inner dialogue and change what you say to yourself.
- Listen to music from happier times.
- Hug someone you love for at least 10 seconds.
- Cry if you need to.
- Watch a movie that is guaranteed to make you laugh.
Take care of your body
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Get some cardio in – try running or swimming.
- Dance to your favorite songs.
- Try out yoga or pilates.
- Get a body massage either partial (feet, hands, neck) or full body.
- Take yourself to a mani-pedi.
- Take a relaxing bath with lavender oil.
- Give yourself permission to love your body.
- Eat a square of dark chocolate. The magnesium in it helps to lower the levels of certain stress hormones.
- Make a cup of tea and just sip it in quiet stillness.
- Cook a healthy meal packed with your favorite fresh vegetables.
- Book a spa day for a facial, mani-pedi, and body massage.
- Do some facial exercises to relax your face muscles.
- Do neck exercises.
- Stretch your body and relax your muscles.
- Moisturize your hair.
Take care of your physical environment or change your environment
- Organize your workspace to make it more comfortable.
- Buy yourself some flowers.
- Spend time outdoors in nature
- Declutter your workspace.
- Look for beauty in the small things around you every day. Make a note of it and be grateful.
- Book yourself a wellness retreat and go to it.
- Go to a café, order your favorite delicious coffee or tea and focus on savoring the drink.
- Empty out your wardrobe, and donate or get rid off old, ill-fitting, or unappealing clothes.
- Head to the gym and sweat out your stress with a serious workout if you are accustomed to working out at home.
- Go for a drive with music turned up loud.
- Switch off from the internet for a full day.
- Take a long, slow walk, listening to some of your favorite relaxing music on your headphones.
- Plan a weekend away, whether it’s by yourself or with people whose company you love.
- Call a friend to play a game of squash or tennis or any game where you get to break out of your normal environment.
Taking care of yourself should be one of your top priorities, so don’t hesitate to start implementing some of these self-love tips today. Remember that it’s okay to ask for help – there are people out there who want to see you succeed. Remember, it’s important to take things one step at a time and be patient with yourself. Rome wasn’t built in a day! Before you go, leave a comment below on which one of this list that you can do now to love yourself more?